Fourth-generation family business Gordon & MacPhail run by the Urquhart family since 1895, has been building up quite a volume of well matured whisky stock of their own quality casks they filled over the years at numerous distilleries throughout Scotland. With this stock, they are conserving a piece of history which they now have decided to share with us in their exclusive Speyside Collection.
An exploratory journey of classic single malts through the decades, from the years in which Queen Elizabeth II was crowned, George Orwell published 1984, Elvis Presley started his music career, the first James Bond novel was published by Ian Fleming, the first ATM was put into service, Porsche was founded and Atari released PONG…
Half a dozen well aged whiskies from different distilleries with a combined age of 329 years of maturation, driven by knowledge and expertise, each showcasing a very different profile. The release of this first Speyside Collection is uniquely labelled using the original distillery labels from the period they started their maturation, is available for a recommended retail price of £10,500, just under €12,500, and is limited to only 75 sets.
Smith’s Glenlivet 1948
- Distilled on the 11th of February 1948
- Matured in first fill Sherry butt #545
- Bottled at an age of 62 on the 26th of July 2010 at 43%
Glen Grant 1949
- Distilled in 1949
- Matured in first fill Sherry hogshead and butts and refill Sherry hogshead
- Cask #30 First fill Sherry hogshead, distilled 6th January 1949
- Cask #2200 First fill Sherry butt, distilled 3rd June 1949
- Cask #2764 Refill Sherry hogshead, distilled 29th October 1949
- Cask #3182 First fill Sherry butt, distilled 24th November 1949
- Cask #3185 First fill Sherry butt, distilled 24th November 1949
- Bottled at an age of 64 on the 6th June 2014 at 40%
- Distilled on the 19th of December 1953
- Matured in first fill Sherry butt #1614
- Bottled at an age of 58 on the 20th of December 2012 at 43%
- Distilled on the 27th of January 1954
- Matured in first fill Sherry butt #494
- Bottled at an age of 58 on the 20th of November 2012 at 43%
- Distilled on the 31st of October 1967
- Matured in first fill Sherry butt #4645
- Bottled at an age of 47 on the 21st of September 2015 at 43%
- Distilled on the 17th of November 1972
- Matured in first fill Sherry hogshead #14796
- Bottled at age 40 on the 3rd of July 2013 at 43%
Can you image our eyes popping open to the size of flying saucers when a package with samples of these six bottlings came in?
Individual notes of all of these #SpeysideCollection samples can be found soon at WhiskyWorship and LovingWhisky, or behind the direct links below this page.
Thomas & Ansgar
Copyright notice: Photo line up samples by WhiskySpeller, rest provided by Gordon & MacPhail
13 Comments Add yours